Wednesday 27 December 2006

Christmas Boom

As you all know I hate culler and excess material possessions, but I have one weakness: Christmas Tree Decorations.

Back in 2001 when I was very homesick in the UK I took a trip to New York City to raise my spirits. I don’t even remember where the shop was, but I can remember its exact layout. Huge green and white Christmas trees filled its interior and the walls were covered in decorations of every colour and design. I was reminded of Mum’s story of her friends who collected unique decorations on their travels, the joy being the unwrapping of these specialties every year and the subsequent memories they created.

So I stood there, in this magical store surrounded by style options: Traditional red, green and gold? Brightly coloured baubles in every colour of the rainbow? A modern twist in purples and aqua highlighted by silver? Trees in all white or all gold?

I decided for an Australian Christmas in the heat of summer that the traditional look was too heavy. The others too modern. But one tree, twice my size stood out. It was green with white and crystal decorations accented with blue, this tree looked like it had been caught in an ice storm and I knew it would be perfect for an Aussie Summer with its Christmas day barbeques and midday swims.

So I bought two white sand blasted reindeer, one bauble intricately decorated with blue and silver glitter and for good luck and memories a shiny red apple with NY 2001 painted in gold.

Over the years I have collected special decorations on my travels and from my dear friends, I would guess I have about 30 pieces now. But they’re all in storage at Bunnyconnellen, so Barry bought me some for the tree this year.

As you can see from the photos I found some pretty crazy designs. The ‘African’ baubles I came across in a Officeworks warehouse when we were shopping for stationary and the handmade Blue Star with Pompoms we found in the Somerset West Outdoor Christmas Markets.

Bliss.



Is it a zebra or is it a leopard?


Our baby Christmas Boom


Now that's what I call a STAR!

Just as a post note. I had one of the best Christmases ever! I believe the trick is to have a Christmas eve dinner and a Christmas lunch - I know, so greedy. :)

Thank you for the phone calls, it was very special to hear about all your days plans and the family news. Sammie, it was just fabulous to sit back and hear all your stories; horse riding, sailing, hiking and mud baths.

Mum, PJ, Tobs, Bar and Sarah - enjoy Straddie. I'll be thinking of you from the hot African bush.

Photos from Christmas day and Suncity will be posted in the New Year after the 8th of Jan.

All my love xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello my sweet sis. So good to hear some news from you. Cant wait to see photos from the adventure you had over the new year! Lots of love, s. xxxxxxx